Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Today 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 7
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Today 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424209
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3564
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 227
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 165
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 257
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1223916
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119109
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 237
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6744
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 359
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309549
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61908
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 572
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20228
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169171
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6273
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 775
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5743
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61124

Asus X59SR BIOS & memory issue
#1
Hi!

My Asus X59SR laptop had gotten very loud so I opened it up and cleaned
the CPU Fan. As part of the effort to get it to become less noisy I decided
to update the BIOS from the original v207 to v212 as can be found here:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=X59SR&hashedid=n%2fa

The update worked perfectly and I didn't see anything unexpected during
the process.

Unfortunately, my computer became unstable and started to crash. Windows
refused to boot and my attempt to use the Windows 7 CD as well as Linux CDs
to try and boot a OS failed with constant crashes.

A commonly occuring error was from the "Windows Boot Manager" which
complained about "A recent hardware or software change". The oddest thing was
that I got this message even after starting to boot the Windows 7 install CD &
Linux CDs. It didn't make any sense to me.

The system worked without any problems before.

Eventually, I managed to flash to BIOS v206 as I couldn't find the original
v207 on the Asus site. Oddly, the system became much more stable, and I
managed to install both Windows XP & Vista, though the Win 7 install still
crashed.

After trying to figure things out for awhile I finally noticed the POST messages:

BIOS DATE: 12/12/08 Ver: 206
Chipset Name:SiS671, DDR2 667Mhz, CL:5T

BIOS DATE: 08/17/10 Ver: 212
Chipset Name:SiS671, DDR2 800Mhz, CL:5T

I have a pair of Samsung 2GB 2Rx8 PC2-6400S-666-12-E3 modules for a
total of 4 Gb of RAM.

A memory issue could have resulted in the issues I was facing, so I went into
the BIOS to try and see if I can change anything and found that the BIOS is
almost without any user changeable settings at all.

Could you guys take a look and see if you can help?

Thanks!



One more thing, I noticed that Easy Flash identified the PLATFORM as F5SR,
so I took a look at the Asus site and found the following:

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=F5SR&hashedid=0ADVFRfbf9DySIik

The BIOS found there seem to have the same dates & filesize as those
on the X59SR. And v207 is there as well. Odd, isn't it?

POST returns the following for this F5SR v207:

BIOS DATE: 02/25/09 Ver: 207
Chipset Name:SiS671, DDR2 667Mhz, CL:5T

The Windows 7 install still fails at roughly the same point it did in v206.
find
quote
#2
Update.

I have tested BIOS v206, v207, v210 & v212. All but v212
run the memory at 667Mhz. The system, while being more
stable than v212 (at least Windows boots!), is still quite
unstable with random crashes. A attempt to play a music
CD-ROM resulted in a sound full of stuttering and distortions.

I am becoming increasingly convinced that the memory
settings are at fault. But as I can't change memory
speed or timing in the BIOS, there is no way for me
to do anything.

Why did the manufacturer insist on doing something this
idiotic? Despite taking what I thought were reasonable
precautions I now have a doorstop, not a computer.

I managed to download AMIBCP 4.53, thinking it might
allow me to take a look at the BIOS, but it won't read
the files. I am unsure if I am doing something wrong due
to lack of documentation.
find
quote
#3
Ok, forget about making v212 work, at this point I'd
simply like to have a working computer.

If anyone out there has a working Asus X59SR laptop
(preferably with 4Gb of RAM) could you please make
a copy of your BIOS and upload it?

A link to instructions:
http://support.asus.com/Documents/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=X59SR&s=132&hashedid=n/a&os=24&no=1704
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)