Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Yesterday 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 76
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Yesterday 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424336
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3600
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 262
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 194
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 293
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224263
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119155
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 266
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6774
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 387
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309652
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61950
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 607
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20262
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169232
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6317
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 809
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5778
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61173

GPT USB Boot Woes - Any Help Apreciated
#1
Howdy folks.  Effin' new guy here, so please be kind - I'm going to be as descriptive as I can.
I'm running a Dell Inspiron 11 3147 with the Intel N3540 CPU.  Current BIOS is InsydeH2O version A11.

My big issue is that, given this thing doesn't have a CD/DVD drive (what does these days?) I have to boot from a LiveUSB install if I want to run/install anything other than Windows.

The problem that I seem to be having is that some distros of Linux do not seem to like being on a USB partitioned with MBR.  Instead, the image files are set up for GPT partitions.  And we all know that GPT =/= MBR.  And really, I can't blame them since MBR only allows for four volumes to a physical drive.

So why would this be an issue for me?

Because for some godamnably inscrutable reason, my EFI refuses to detect USB thumb drives formatted with GPT partitions when running strictly in UEFI mode.  It will detect them, weirdly enough, in Legacy Mode, but at that point the BIOS seems to go looking for the boot files like the drive is partitioned using MBR instead of GPT.  And trying to run these more selective distros on a UEFI-compatible MBR partition just results in a no-boot condition where the boot loader starts trying to find the drive it's supposed to boot off of, but it can't because it's expecting GPT instead of MBR.

Helluva catch-22 situation.

So, I gotta ask: what's the easiest route for me to go?  Get some help here in trying to hack my BIOS into detecting GPT thumb drives?  Or modify the boot loaders to work under MBR?

Or is there some stupid-simple fix that I've been overlooking because I'm having one of those can't-see-the-forest-for-the-trees moments?
find
quote
#2
Bug 
UPDATE:

Okay, had some luck with the Solus Linux.  I somehow manages to wave the chicken bones around my computer juuuuuust right and got a working Live USB boot to work under Legacy BIOS.

Of course, once I did the more 'permanent' install to the 32 GB USB 3.0 stick that I had intended for it...  Yeah.  Grub2 came up just fine, but after that, black screen, blinking cursor, and the keystrokes leave text on the screen.

Joy.

I'm gonna let this Ship sit for now, but basically my goal is to have my USB 3.0 stick dual booting D*** Small Linux NOT to use on old dinosaur boxes, and Solus-MATE to use on more contemporary systems.  Both have a good wealth of tools to use when you're not using frugal installs, which will be useful when I inevitably have to fix someone's botched-up Windows machine...

...unless they were REALLY enterprising and bricked their BIOS.  In which case I think I'll be referring to this place for a fix. Tongue
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)