Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
Yesterday 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 119
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
Yesterday 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 117
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 181
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1222483
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 118954
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 191
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6674
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 296
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309079
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61811
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 503
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20138
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 168909
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6183
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 704
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5661
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 60984
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: Argogo
09-21-2026 11:15 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 274843
Advanced BIOS Unlock machenike l15p
Last Post: ztazzy
09-20-2026 09:28 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 817
[REQUEST] Hystou S200 BIOS unlock
Last Post: Onyicho
09-20-2026 05:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 24765

Do I need to mod my bios?
#1
I have an old Chaintech motherboard (ZNF3-250) with Award bios v6.00PG. This motherboard has an onboard Silicon Image SATA RAID controller (SiI3114) and currently has bios version 5.0.34.

The trouble with this SiI bios version is that it does not allow HDDs of 1TB or more to be recognized but, I believe version 5.0.73 should solve this problem. If you download this, you get two .bin files:

Quote:r5073.bin - add-in card raid BIOS
5073.bin - motherboard BIOS for OEM use in development. This BIOS is not intended for general end-users. End-users with a SiI3114 onboard a motherboard, please contact the motherboard manufacturer for a BIOS upgrade.

Since I do not have an add-in card, I assume I would need 5073.bin. But what I do not understand is whether I can flash the SiI chip with it (as if it were an add-in card) or whether I need to mod the Award bios with it.

If anyone can improve my state of ignorance, please do!
find
quote
#2
After a lot of googling and head-scratching, I decided (rightly or wrongly) that I do need to mod my bios. So, I began playing with cbrom...

Here is the original Award bios with the Silicon Image rom shown in item 9 (5034.bin):
Quote:C:\cbrom>cbrom32_198 6a61cc32.bin /d
cbrom32_198 V1.98 [08/27/08] ©Phoenix Technologies 2001-2008

******** 6a61cc32.bin BIOS component ********

No. Item-Name Original-Size Compressed-Size Original-File-Name
================================================================================
0. System BIOS 20000h(128.00K) 12418h(73.02K) ZN120520.BIN
1. XGROUP CODE 0D910h(54.27K) 0941Dh(37.03K) awardext.rom
2. CPU micro code 01800h(6.00K) 0024Ah(0.57K) CPUCODE.BIN
3. ACPI table 05055h(20.08K) 01C5Eh(7.09K) ACPITBL.BIN
4. YGROUP ROM 0AEF0h(43.73K) 0423Eh(16.56K) awardeyt.rom
5. GROUP ROM[ 0] 04CC0h(19.19K) 022A2h(8.66K) _EN_CODE.BIN
6. OEM0 CODE 01B00h(6.75K) 008DDh(2.22K) BSMICODE.ROM
7. Flash ROM 0B3CEh(44.95K) 062B6h(24.68K) AWDFLASH.EXE
8. PCI ROM[A] 0F800h(62.00K) 09575h(37.36K) \bios\rom\bootrom\Broadc
om\B5788pxe.lom
9. PCI ROM[B] 0C800h(50.00K) 062A0h(24.66K) \bios\rom\SATA\silicon\5
034.bin
10. EPA LOGO 0ACBCh(43.18K) 01A16h(6.52K) \bios\rom\logo\K8Zenith.
bmp

Total compress code space = 5D000h(372.00K)
Total compressed code size = 3B97Bh(238.37K)
Remain compress code space = 21685h(133.63K)

** Micro Code Information **
Update ID CPUID | Update ID CPUID | Update ID CPUID | Update ID CPUID

------------------+--------------------+--------------------+-------------------
0039 0000004| 003A 0000004A| 0041 00000150|

I then released the pci rom and added the new rom (5073.bin):
Quote:C:\cbrom>cbrom32_198 6a61cc32.bin /pci release /err
cbrom32_198 V1.98 [08/27/08] ©Phoenix Technologies 2001-2008
PCI ROM - - - [A] : \bios\rom\bootrom\Broadcom\B5788pxe.lom
PCI ROM - - - [B] : \bios\rom\SATA\silicon\5034.bin
Enter a choice:b
[PCI-B] ROM is release

C:\cbrom>cbrom32_198 6a61cc32.bin /pci 5073.bin /err
cbrom32_198 V1.98 [08/27/08] ©Phoenix Technologies 2001-2008
Adding 5073.bin ...... 50.3%

So, what does that 50.3%? Does it indicate an error? If so, what went wrong?

Here is the final bios with the replaced rom (5073.bin) shown at item 10.
Quote:C:\cbrom>cbrom32_198 6a61cc32.bin /d
cbrom32_198 V1.98 [08/27/08] ©Phoenix Technologies 2001-2008

******** 6a61cc32.bin BIOS component ********

No. Item-Name Original-Size Compressed-Size Original-File-Name
================================================================================
0. System BIOS 20000h(128.00K) 12418h(73.02K) ZN120520.BIN
1. XGROUP CODE 0D910h(54.27K) 0941Dh(37.03K) awardext.rom
2. CPU micro code 01800h(6.00K) 0024Ah(0.57K) CPUCODE.BIN
3. ACPI table 05055h(20.08K) 01C5Eh(7.09K) ACPITBL.BIN
4. YGROUP ROM 0AEF0h(43.73K) 0423Eh(16.56K) awardeyt.rom
5. GROUP ROM[ 0] 04CC0h(19.19K) 022A2h(8.66K) _EN_CODE.BIN
6. OEM0 CODE 01B00h(6.75K) 008DDh(2.22K) BSMICODE.ROM
7. Flash ROM 0B3CEh(44.95K) 062B6h(24.68K) AWDFLASH.EXE
8. PCI ROM[A] 0F800h(62.00K) 09575h(37.36K) \bios\rom\bootrom\Broadc
om\B5788pxe.lom
9. EPA LOGO 0ACBCh(43.18K) 01A16h(6.52K) \bios\rom\logo\K8Zenith.
bmp
10. PCI ROM[B] 0C800h(50.00K) 064CFh(25.20K) 5073.bin

Total compress code space = 5D000h(372.00K)
Total compressed code size = 3BBAAh(238.92K)
Remain compress code space = 21456h(133.08K)

** Micro Code Information **
Update ID CPUID | Update ID CPUID | Update ID CPUID | Update ID CPUID

------------------+--------------------+--------------------+-------------------
0039 0000004| 003A 0000004A| 0041 00000150|

Any help with this would be very much appreciated! I do not want to try flashing this modded bios until I am happy that I have done what i can to ensure it is OK.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)