Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
Yesterday 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6516
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
Yesterday 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 120
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 308174
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61531
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 297
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 19933
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 168389
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 5961
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 511
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5465
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 60711
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: Argogo
09-21-2026 11:15 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 274661
Advanced BIOS Unlock machenike l15p
Last Post: ztazzy
09-20-2026 09:28 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 639
[REQUEST] Hystou S200 BIOS unlock
Last Post: Onyicho
09-20-2026 05:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 24611
[REQUEST] Lenovo G500 (78CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: imtemporaryhelloworl
09-19-2026 07:06 AM
» Replies: 1235
» Views: 693477
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-70 (9ACNxxWW) White...
Last Post: D_M_A
09-18-2026 05:49 AM
» Replies: 257
» Views: 173965
HP DV6-6031er WiFi White list
Last Post: NVTNovo
09-16-2026 09:04 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 917
HP15BA030 BIOS Freischalten für Advanced...
Last Post: Andyowl
09-16-2026 01:35 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 506
[REQUEST] Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IMH0...
Last Post: Silver Pegasus
09-16-2026 09:53 AM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 59520
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire V5-572(P,G) BIOS U...
Last Post: Majestik
09-15-2026 03:01 PM
» Replies: 42
» Views: 43054

Adding another Wifi Antenna to laptop
#1
I'm curious if anyone has attempted to add an extra wifi antenna to a laptop? I'd like to add one to my Lenovo Y470 to take advantage of an extra post if possible....

I'm uncertain which antenna to purchase because no Ebay listing discusses actual sizes. And, I'm not sure if this would even work. http://www.ebay.com/sch/Computer-Components-/3667/i.html?_nkw=laptop+wifi+antenna&_catref=1&_nkwusc=laptop+aifi+antenna&_rusck=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538


If so, I'm trying to determine one that would fit in my small miniPCI expansion slot. It would be easy to slide the cable from the WiFi post to the extra space if the antenna would fit.

My goal would be to exchange my Intel Advanced-N 6200 card for an Intel Ultimate-N 6300 card. The 6300 has three antenna posts whereas the 6200 has the standard two. To make use of the extra post, I'm considering the option of just adding an antenna in there.

Consequently, the looks of some of these antenna options suggest that even the cable could be a conductor for signal reception. Any input on that thought? I base this on the looks of some antenna cables being attached to ordinary looking hinges.

I'm considering these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-A10-A15-Satellite-Laptop-WiFi-WIRELESS-ANTENNA-/330399859797?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ced5dc455#ht_1621wt_905 My only quarrel is that I'm not sure how large the square wafers are. It looks like I could easily attach this to the under plate of the laptop or something similar.

Lemme know any thoughts out there! Gracias!
find
quote
#2
I upgraded the cruddy Artheros wifi in my ASUS G73J, to an intel 6300 and I purchased a similar 3rd antenna, and just coiled it as large as I could w/o any chances of it moving around or touching anything vital, and it worked great (you could past the antenna flap to the removable cover if you really feel motivated). As for for antenna positioning, it just isn't worth the time and effort to run the 3rd antenna the same route as the original 2 (up around the screen bezel).
I have a linksys e4200v2 and I connect at full 450mbps with and without that 3rd antenna connected. I've experimented a bit with the 3rd antenna and only found it benefitial in wifi crowded areas and when range is getting low. I get way better reception at motels than the guys I work with, when they get 2 bars i get 3-full.

I duno there's lotsa debate bout the 3rd antenna, whether you actually utilize it if the router connected to has mimo or not, it up to you to make your own choice, that why I didn't get to carried away with my antenna placement, I connect at 450mbps and I'm happy.

On a side note, I have a Y470P on its way, and instead of getting to crazy I just ordered an Intel 6250 for it, instead of going for the 6300, I figured this is comin to work with me I may take advantage of wimax one day, an I highly doubt I'm gunna see any motels and/or hotspots that will gimmie 450mbps, considering yur lucky to get 10.... I would recomend jus getting the 6250, then you don't have to mess with your antenna configuration and you get 5GHz, and wimax.
find
quote
#3
(04-28-2012, 10:27 PM)KraZy_SkitZy Wrote: I upgraded the cruddy Artheros wifi in my ASUS G73J, to an intel 6300 and I purchased a similar 3rd antenna, and just coiled it as large as I could w/o any chances of it moving around or touching anything vital, and it worked great (you could past the antenna flap to the removable cover if you really feel motivated). As for for antenna positioning, it just isn't worth the time and effort to run the 3rd antenna the same route as the original 2 (up around the screen bezel).
I have a linksys e4200v2 and I connect at full 450mbps with and without that 3rd antenna connected. I've experimented a bit with the 3rd antenna and only found it benefitial in wifi crowded areas and when range is getting low. I get way better reception at motels than the guys I work with, when they get 2 bars i get 3-full.

I duno there's lotsa debate bout the 3rd antenna, whether you actually utilize it if the router connected to has mimo or not, it up to you to make your own choice, that why I didn't get to carried away with my antenna placement, I connect at 450mbps and I'm happy.

On a side note, I have a Y470P on its way, and instead of getting to crazy I just ordered an Intel 6250 for it, instead of going for the 6300, I figured this is comin to work with me I may take advantage of wimax one day, an I highly doubt I'm gunna see any motels and/or hotspots that will gimmie 450mbps, considering yur lucky to get 10.... I would recomend jus getting the 6250, then you don't have to mess with your antenna configuration and you get 5GHz, and wimax.

Sorry for not updating this thread. Honestly, I forgot about it.

I have the Ultimate-N 6300 now. I installed a Toshiba flat antenna that I bought off E-Bay for like $6.00 in the extra bay. It was easy as cake to feed the wire through to the WiFi slot.

Anyway, it has been stable as [censored] with this adapter in toe.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)