Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.64 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Today 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 33
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Today 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424243
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3566
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 232
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 167
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 260
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1223974
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119115
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 242
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6748
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 363
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309566
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61909
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 574
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20230
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169179
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6280
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 778
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5744
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61130

(UEFI) Dell XPS 15z L511z modded BIOS - and HOWTO
What could possibly be the part that is being flashed to EC? I have disassembled the wph using Phoenix tool and looked with MMTOOL, but I'm inexperienced in this matter.
I know the offset where DTS1 is written/read, I know the offset where the fan level is written and I know the value it seeks (0x3C) to enable the fan.
Code:
OperationRegion (ECRM, EmbeddedControl, Zero, 0x0100)
                    Field (ECRM, ByteAcc, Lock, Preserve)
                    {
                        Offset (0x55),
                        OTPC,   8,
                        VGAT,   8,
                        CHPT,   8,
                        CPUT,   8,
                        SYST,   8,  // Logic board temp
                        DTS1,   8,  // CPU Package temp from DTS
                        DTS2,   8,  // PCH temp from DTS
                        SYCS,   8,
                        Offset (0x5E),
                        HWSN,   8,
                        CTYP,   8,
                        FCNT,   1,
                        FTST,   1,
                            ,   3,
                        FADJ,   1,
                        TCTL,   1,
                        FATO,   1,
                        DAC1,   8,
                        DAC2,   8,
                        FLVL,   8, // FAN0 ON/OFF
                        CTL1,   16,// ?????
                        CTL2,   16,// 0000
                        FANH,   8, // FAN0 RPM H Bank
                        FANL,   8, // FAN0 RPM L Bank
                    }
In theory it should be easy enough to alter this value and crank it up a little... of course if EC part of the rom can be altered at all.
Could possibly be inside:
DigitalThermalSensorSmm 77A6009E-116E-464D-8EF8-B35201A022DD_1_621
IT8518SioSmm 6E9947D6-43A4-446A-A63C-91139F2C1DB5_1_829
find
quote
Probably not inside those modules. IIRC, they simply provide the data (ie: temperature) to another module which checks if the pre-established threshold (3C) has been reached. The logic wouldn't be in the setup module, but the code to change this value (from advanced settings) would, which is why we need access to this settings table.

Here's where it gets interesting. As an update I've searched long and hard but I didnt find the VSS table definition in the BIOS files - the way to check is to search if '$VSS' is present in the code. HOWEVER I've taken a BIOS dump from Windows using the Universal BIOS backup, and voila! $VSS appears in the dump file. That means that the VSS table is present but in encrypted form in the BIOS ROM files.

@kasar - did you manage to speak with pyr0?
find
quote
After two days' wating
Dell give me a new motherboard for free...
now my laptop is alive again
I want to know if there is a suitable and modified A11 BIOS for L502X?
find
quote
@jkbuha

nope, he didnt replied my message Sad

I really want this bios menus unlocked but I feel stuck with my current skill levels, I dont even understand the half of the whole topic >.<

I really feel like a naab now lol Dodgy



@fuwu1245

yes, there are some tested modded bioses for L502X
I modded them for gpu voltages (it improve stability, gpu overclock,fix crashes sometimes, and reduce temps)

but the advanced menus are not unlocked yet

here you have the link to the mod

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps...-more.html

just download the desired version ^^
find
quote
(09-06-2012, 08:09 PM)kasar Wrote: I really want this bios menus unlocked but I feel stuck with my current skill levels, I dont ever understand the half of the whole topic >.<

I really feel like a naab now lol Dodgy

duuude - we're almost there now - I can almost touch the settings table ... Smile
All we need is one final push and we have it!

@All - Get me some feedback pls on what I reported re: $VSS - I need to know where this table is stored in encrypted form in the rom file as I can dump it from RAM! This is the final step to getting this bios unlocked!
find
quote
I am really sorry but can someone tell me if I can just download one of the bioses and use it directly or do I have to mod it somehow using the attached files? I've got the latest A11 bios installed. Will using the 540/550 bios give an improvement in gaming? What's better for performance, under or overvolt? I'm sorry for the newbie questions but I am actually interested in this. I'd really appreciate it if someone helps.

Cheers mates,
-d.lesov*
find
quote
(09-08-2012, 07:23 AM)humanitybg Wrote: I am really sorry but can someone tell me if I can just download one of the bioses and use it directly or do I have to mod it somehow using the attached files? I've got the latest A11 bios installed. Will using the 540/550 bios give an improvement in gaming? What's better for performance, under or overvolt? I'm sorry for the newbie questions but I am actually interested in this. I'd really appreciate it if someone helps.

Cheers mates,
-d.lesov*

what laptop you have?

for xps 15 (l502x) you can use the link I provided In my previus post, if you have a xps 15z (L511Z) then you can use the ones from the first post.

anyway be sure what you flash before flash it, flashing incorrect model bioses on a different laptop will result in a brick.
find
quote
(09-08-2012, 04:44 PM)kasar Wrote:
(09-08-2012, 07:23 AM)humanitybg Wrote: I am really sorry but can someone tell me if I can just download one of the bioses and use it directly or do I have to mod it somehow using the attached files? I've got the latest A11 bios installed. Will using the 540/550 bios give an improvement in gaming? What's better for performance, under or overvolt? I'm sorry for the newbie questions but I am actually interested in this. I'd really appreciate it if someone helps.

Cheers mates,
-d.lesov*

what laptop you have?

for xps 15 (l502x) you can use the link I provided In my previus post, if you have a xps 15z (L511Z) then you can use the ones from the first post.

anyway be sure what you flash before flash it, flashing incorrect model bioses on a different laptop will result in a brick.

I own a XPS15z, that's why I asked. Smile Will the 550/540 bios provide increase in performance?
find
quote
(09-08-2012, 05:01 PM)humanitybg Wrote: I own a XPS15z, that's why I asked. Smile Will the 550/540 bios provide increase in performance?
ah, ok, then use the ones from the first post.

yeah, if I am correct the 15z have a 525m, and the 550/540 clocks are higher, if your GPU can handle those clocks you will notice an improvement, anyway ask jkbuha better, cause he is the one who relased those mods ^^

I just did the l502x GPU ones
find
quote
humanitybg - use my latest A11. They have the GT525 rom (not the 540/550) but will allow you to overclock more and have faster & cooler performance. Games on Win8 run very smoothly at full res.

As kasar said, follow the instructions carefully in the first post!
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 39 Guest(s)