Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.64 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
My GPU is disabled from BIOS
Last Post: Maxinator500
Today 09:58 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 47
[REQUEST]SVE14A BIOS Bricked Sony Vaio L...
Last Post: Ritesh12345
Today 09:15 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 34
[REQUEST] Toshiba Satellite L300 (PSLB8x...
Today 05:42 AM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 3639
IBM ThinkPad G40 Wifi Whitelist removal
Today 05:38 AM
» Views: 89
[REQUEST] Asus ROG Strix G512LW BIOS Unl...
Last Post: Melzas
Yesterday 06:04 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 3525
lenovo z570 Advanced Menu Unlocked
Last Post: tyje34etres2
10-16-2024 06:01 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 5756
[REQUEST] Lenovo IdeaPad U330, U430 & U5...
Last Post: Dudu2002
10-16-2024 01:41 PM
» Replies: 407
» Views: 133193
[REQUEST] Asus B85M-G ASUS 2.1 SLIC
Last Post: NFC
10-16-2024 11:02 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 4196
Enable serial debug console for Clevo P5...
Last Post: segfault_bilibili
10-16-2024 07:09 AM
» Views: 508
Optiplex 7060 SFF 9th Generation Intel C...
Last Post: BigTinz
10-15-2024 05:07 PM
» Replies: 54
» Views: 15396
Asus P5GC-TVM/S pentium 5400
Last Post: AlexWood
10-15-2024 03:31 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 2145
[REQUEST] Unlocked ASUS H81M-E/M52AD/DP_...
Last Post: Dj-Elroy
10-15-2024 10:17 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 765
[REQUEST] BIOS Setup Menu Unlock for HON...
Last Post: nsherbina1999
10-15-2024 09:57 AM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 273
[REQUEST] Lenovo Legion Slim 5 Gen 9 (16...
Last Post: Dudu2002
10-15-2024 09:41 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 280
[Detailed] Interesting Undervolting Lock...
Last Post: Fadel_Hel
10-15-2024 08:49 AM
» Views: 149
Packard Bell Imedia s3800 bios overclock
Last Post: Andrea_1971
10-15-2024 08:11 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 12110
[REQUEST] HP ProBook 450 G7 replaced GPU...
Last Post: DangeR
10-15-2024 07:40 AM
» Views: 112
BIG PROBLEM :(
Last Post: Andrea_1971
10-15-2024 06:18 AM
» Views: 172
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: Chicco27
10-15-2024 05:19 AM
» Replies: 1724
» Views: 650284
Help Fan Speed Sabertooth X79
Last Post: T3DDY
10-14-2024 08:27 PM
» Views: 124

(UEFI) Dell XPS 15z L511z modded BIOS - and HOWTO
Thanks Paralel and good sleuth work Smile
If what you're saying is true then all we need is the latest 7.1.x firmware and the updated ME 8.x Win32/64 drivers?
find
Nope, what he meant is that there are two firmwares for ME embedded at the same time. ME region is either split or there are two separate regions, one holds v7 fw, the other one v8. When a compatible IVB cpu is socketed the board knows this after a series of checks and therefore initiates proper ME and proper VBIOS (if any) to match the nested CPU. Our ME rom is just 1.5Mb in size, I've seen 5Mb roms around .. so this may explain why a split configuration with multiple firmwares is possible.
find
that makes sense, ME7 fw for sandy bridge and ME8 for ivy.

anyone know what is the max size of our rom chips, so if there is anyway we can have those 5mb firmwares on them?

or are we facing a firmware space limitation due hardware limitation?
find
That's a pity - but in reality I'm not that concerned with upgrading to an IVB processor.

I'm more interested in unlocking the overclocking & undervolting capabilities of our existing motherboards, which sounds like it can be done provided we find a way to enable r/w access to the descriptors first, most likely via a hotkey combo on bootup.
find
(11-02-2012, 09:52 AM)jkbuha Wrote: That's a pity - but in reality I'm not that concerned with upgrading to an IVB processor.

I'm more interested in unlocking the overclocking & undervolting capabilities of our existing motherboards, which sounds like it can be done provided we find a way to enable r/w access to the descriptors first, most likely via a hotkey combo on bootup.

Actually, from going over the "System Tools User Guide", it should be possible for us to do what you want, at least as far as clock, directly in ME, without messing with the descriptors. But what we can do is directly limited by which chipset we have. From what I can tell, for the HM67, our overclocking potential is not great, but it is still possible.

Here are the various Intel PDF's I was able to pull together that I think may give us more information on what we need to do to accomplish what we want:

http://speedy.sh/qVrme/Cougar-Point-PDFs.zip

Worst comes to worst, it looks like we can use that Aardvark thing with a SODIMM connector to directly program it Dodgy

As far as the ME7/ME8 hybrid here is a document that discusses it:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21483/en...eNotes.pdf

Note that before the notice about "structural" BIOS changes, the only ME listed are 7.X versions, but after that, they list both a 7.x AND 8.x versions for ME, supporting my Hybrid ME theory. If we can rip apart one of those BIOS updates for the desktop board, we may be able to figure out how they did it, and create our own Hybrid ME firmwares.

However, I fear, what they did was take two 1.5 MB versions, smash them together, and put them in a space formerly occupied by a 5 MB version of the 7.X firmware. If so, we have hit a hard dead end since our ME firmware space is only 1.5 MB, so, unless we could find some empty space somewhere and put a jump there to reference where the ME 8 Firmware is located elsewhere in the flash.

I have tried to flash a 5 MB version of the ME 7.x firmware, but it hits a fatal error of insufficient firmware space.
find
That's some good info you've gathered, Paralel. I will try to read some of it during this weekend.

@jkbuha you have one of the steps covered incorrectly in the recovery procedure how-to.
Quote:Keep the <hotkey> sequence pressed, plug in the power cord back, and press the power button.
As soon as you plug in the power cord you let go of the <hotkey> and laptop should start automatically. You don't need to press the power button.
I wonder were you doing the same thing you describe during your attempts to initiate recovery? In case you were .. mind to try doing it the *right* way ? Smile
find
(11-02-2012, 02:23 PM)TimeWalker Wrote: That's some good info you've gathered, Paralel. I will try to read some of it during this weekend.

@jkbuha you have one of the steps covered incorrectly in the recovery procedure how-to.
Quote:Keep the <hotkey> sequence pressed, plug in the power cord back, and press the power button.
As soon as you plug in the power cord you let go of the <hotkey> and laptop should start automatically. You don't need to press the power button.
I wonder were you doing the same thing you describe during your attempts to initiate recovery? In case you were .. mind to try doing it the *right* way ? Smile

I haven't attempted to flash anything on my XPS 15z, but when you:

unplug the power cord -> press and hold the right arrow key -> plug in the power cord -> remove finger from the right arrow key

the laptop powers up, and though the screen is black, the power button is illuminated and flashing (almost like it's sitting at a prompt waiting for some kind of input).

This does not work with any other key combination that I tried (other than holding down Fn and pushing the power button that takes you into the diagnostic mode)
find
Then its a proper key to initiate the recovery as this is what's supposed to happen when crisis boot is triggered. Have you tried creating a capsule as explained in the OP and loading it of off the external media?
find
Guys sorry but either I'm really thick or my 15z is a bit different from the rest...

@thorbsd - just so I'm clear... on your 15z you press and hold the right arrow (which has End on it), plug in the power supply, and then release the key. The laptop powers on by itself?
find
(11-03-2012, 07:20 AM)jkbuha Wrote: @thorbsd - just so I'm clear... on your 15z you press and hold the right arrow (which has End on it), plug in the power supply, and then release the key. The laptop powers on by itself?

Unfortunately, my 15z not (i.e. it remains powered off). Tried with some other keys, same result. Hot sequence is still a mistery...
find