Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
Yesterday 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6517
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
Yesterday 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 121
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 308176
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61531
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 298
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 19934
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 168392
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 5962
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 512
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5466
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 60712
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: Argogo
09-21-2026 11:15 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 274661
Advanced BIOS Unlock machenike l15p
Last Post: ztazzy
09-20-2026 09:28 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 641
[REQUEST] Hystou S200 BIOS unlock
Last Post: Onyicho
09-20-2026 05:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 24611
[REQUEST] Lenovo G500 (78CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: imtemporaryhelloworl
09-19-2026 07:06 AM
» Replies: 1235
» Views: 693488
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-70 (9ACNxxWW) White...
Last Post: D_M_A
09-18-2026 05:49 AM
» Replies: 257
» Views: 173967
HP DV6-6031er WiFi White list
Last Post: NVTNovo
09-16-2026 09:04 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 918
HP15BA030 BIOS Freischalten für Advanced...
Last Post: Andyowl
09-16-2026 01:35 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 506
[REQUEST] Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IMH0...
Last Post: Silver Pegasus
09-16-2026 09:53 AM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 59521
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire V5-572(P,G) BIOS U...
Last Post: Majestik
09-15-2026 03:01 PM
» Replies: 42
» Views: 43055

hp 550: Need help upgrading bios for core 2 duo to run win 7 64 bit
#1
I'm a photographer and i use photoshop lightroom extensively as part of my workflow. Unfortunately my desktop workstation just burned out it's motherboard in the middle of an assignment, and I'm not able to buy a new one till probably next month.  I have an old hp 550 laptop,  running on a core 2 duo processor. It was originally installed with 32 bit XP, but to run lightroom 5 it needs to run windows 7 64 bit.

I went through the Microsoft upgrade advisor instructions,  and it works great. Until you start Adobe 64 bit multi-threaded software (i.e. lightroom, premier).  After 15 minutes it over heats and crashes. Then i have to wait 30 minutes before it's cool enough to boot up again. I've got over 2000 RAW images to sort and edit (some requiring extensive edits) it is very slow and frustrating to have to shut down between each photo.  

From the system specs and the requirements necessary to run lightroom, it should handle it no problem. The core 2 duo is on the extreme low end but still fits the specs according to adobe. A computer whiz friend  suggested that overheating could be from the out of date bios. I realize this is not the machine to use long term, but i have to make it be able to make it work for the next two weeks.

I'm behind on this assignment, have another Friday and another next week. At this rate I'll never finish. I've built computers before,  but I've never dealt with modifying or updating bios, and I'm having trouble finding the right info and the hp website is less than helpful.

So what i really need is this.

1- what bios version is necessary for running windows 7 64 bit on a core 2 duo

2-I've never done this before and was told if done wrong it will likely render the laptop useless.  So I'd like detailed instructions on how to do it, if i may.

3- i was told the bios update may make a RAM upgrade past the current limit possible.  Is this true? If so it would help.

4- finally do you fine folks think this will actually work, or am I wasting my time and completely screwed?

Thanks all for your time!
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: